10/27/10

IS THIS REALITY?

Recently I was asked to participate in a design challenge, Central Oregon's version of HGTV Design Star. While I think most of those reality competition shows are ridiculous, it did sound like fun. The challenge was to create a room setting in 24 hours with different resources and materials assigned to each designer. We were given paint and limited supplies and zero budget,
as they say "make it work"

The space was a small 10' X 10' box and needed some architectural interest, I chose to create a painted parchment wall treatment. Using white craft paper and spray paint I was able to hang the paper in 24" squares resembling stone blocks.

Each room had a small window on the back wall, I used a simple matchstick shade and dressed it up with these wonderful side panels made of jute. A simple play on textures and neutral colors helped disguise the small proportions of the room.

I continued with the theme of neutral texture and contrasting simple elements along with more refined accessories.

More textural elements included vintage weathered shutters for a room screen and a grouping of raku pottery crystal mineral and bronze table lamp.

It was actually a lot of fun to work on despite the stress of time limits, but I was not alone working along side two other talented designers from Central Oregon we put on a good show! Would I do it again? What do you think?

2 comments:

  1. Fun! I think we should do something like this with the HDDC.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why is it always zero budget, that's what I want to know...

    ReplyDelete